Perfectly Modded

Modding done right!

HomeHome  WebsiteWebsite  PublicationsPublications  YouTubeYouTube  TwitchTwitch  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

[tips needed] My experience with an AMD GPU (R9 280) using Snowfall ENB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aaab4257
New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: [tips needed] My experience with an AMD GPU (R9 280) using Snowfall ENB   Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Update 2:
My earlier guess that it's a GPU problem might be wrong or at least incomplete. I have disabled every single esp/esm save for the official dlcs and the legendary patch. My FPS with ENB at the same place in WR is 42 and without ENB it's 48. I didn't disable anything on the left pane in MO, so lot of textures, meshes are the same. I'll try disabling some recommended CPU heavy mods.

If anyone has a similar config (see specs below) and if he or she could write down their settings that would be very nice. I may be overestimating my card or there is something seriously wrong on my end.

Update 1:
Honestly I have no idea what causes this. I have disabled all mods (even potentially game-breaking stuff) with a texture and or mesh icon and nothing else in MO after making a backup of the profile. It still gives me 25FPS looking at the big tree from far away. It must be some more basic meshes/textures, maybe a mod.
I found some useful comments by Rotten in the Performance Guide. I'll try those.

Hi!

First of all, thank you Rotten for this amazing mod pack! After I got tired modding my Skyrim every time (extremely time consuming) I found your pack. This is truly amazing, especially the number of mods included!

I'll write down my experiences, a few fixes I found and I have questions for the more experienced modders.

I got it installed to X: with some tricks and while it works all right I have some performance issues.
My specs are the following:

• i5-4590 (4 cores - 3.3GHz)
  • 8GB RAM
  • Sapphire R9 280 3GB (Using AMD drivers, not that ancient Sapphire shit.)
  • 1TB HDD
  • 120GB SSD (I put Skyrim on this one.)
  • 1680x1050 (16:10) resolution

I switched over to Snowfall ENB following the guide on the forum. My ENB settings are the following:
Code:
// Most of this I tested and tweaked.
[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=true // Set to true for AMD Videocards
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=128
VideoMemorySizeMb=10240 // *** I tried different values including 3072, etc. too ***
// less than 8GB Formula: (VRAM + RAM - 2048) , max value: 10240
// more than 8GB Formula: (VRAM + RAM - 2048 / 2) , max value: 10240
EnableCompression=true //set to false or true if you experience stuttering
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false // set to false for "VideoMemorySizeMb" to take effect

Performance mostly depends on where I my character looks. If the complexity is low then I get 40-60 FPS both outside and in Whiterun. If the complexity of the scene is high (like looking at the big tree in Whiterun from Jorrvaskr [companions building], etc.) then my FPS drops to 25-30.
However the problem is that even if I disable ENB mid-game (SHIFT+F12) I gain only around 5FPS (it goes from 25->30 in WR). I also have this issue in Riverwood.
I tried tweaking the threaded settings too and lowering the texture quality actually just makes it worse.

This is quite odd in my opinion. I think the bottleneck is my GPU as it can't really process all the high-quality meshes/textures fast enough.
My question is what should I disable to gain more FPS? I mean what are the most generic texture/mesh stuffs I can disable?

I have already looked at these guides:
Performance Guide
ENB Performance Guide
AMD Performance Guide

I don't want to disable mods unless I really need to. Honestly I don't think that disabling some books texture would give me better performance when I mostly encounter books inside, however generic building/clothing/etc. textures would certainly give some boost.
I could try and mess around but I'd like to know if anyone has any tips or if anyone had this exact issue?

PS:

I also had stutter outside which I was able to fix by decreasing the insane draw distances (I don't really care about the LOD, it's nice though). Any thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

[tips needed] My experience with an AMD GPU (R9 280) using Snowfall ENB
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Perfectly Modded :: Forum :: SPM 4.4-
Jump to:  

Free counters!