Perfectly Modded

Modding done right!

HomeHome  WebsiteWebsite  YouTubeYouTube  TwitchTwitch  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gargilius
New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:28 am

Hello, and thank you for the work done on this mod-pack. It looks excellent. I am really looking forward to playing it. Im just hitting one little snag. The installation guide says steam is sub-optimal (and I tend to agree in most cases) and that it is better to use a non steam installation. The question is how? As far as I understand it all non console versions of this game are forced to run through steam. There does not seem to be a good way to do this. I own Skyrim, and am not afraid of tinkering with outside programs to make this mod work. My question is, are all of you using a cracked version of the game? This is the only plausible explanation I can come up with. If this is the case then I would like a little instruction on what crack version is currently in use and if there are any pitfalls to watch for in acquiring and installing it. If you are not all using a cracked version of the game, then I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tolstyy
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer

PostSubject: Re: Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:54 am

Just buy a non-steam version of Skyrim, install it to the drive X and copy 4.4 there, run with Mod Organizer.

Last edited by tolstyy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gargilius
New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: Re: Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it   Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:59 am

@tolstyy wrote:
Just buy a non-stem version of Skyrim, install it to the drive X and copy 4.4 there, run with Mod Organizer.

Thank you for replying, but that's just it. Everything I'm looking at says that this doesn't exist. I'm not saying you are wrong, but the information I have acquired on the subject so far certainly is. Can you provide me a link to either an online retailer or a website connected to a brick and mortar store that sells them? I'm coming up with nothing but a sea of forum posts varying from nexus to the steam forums claiming that what you are talking about doesn't exist. Thanks for the help =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RottenDub
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 am

@gargilius wrote:
Hello, and thank you for the work done on this mod-pack. It looks excellent. I am really looking forward to playing it. Im just hitting one little snag. The installation guide says steam is sub-optimal (and I tend to agree in most cases) and that it is better to use a non steam installation. The question is how? As far as I understand it all non console versions of this game are forced to run through steam. There does not seem to be a good way to do this. I own Skyrim, and am not afraid of tinkering with outside programs to make this mod work. My question is, are all of you using a cracked version of the game? This is the only plausible explanation I can come up with. If this is the case then I would like a little instruction on what crack version is currently in use and if there are any pitfalls to watch for in acquiring and installing it. If you are not all using a cracked version of the game, then I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thank you.

Hello! If you have vanilla Skyrim installed just move it to where the install guide say.Then just get a no-cd crack so the game doesn't need steam anymore ( gamecopyworld is a good place )

Pack will work just fine with steam but requires more tinkering and it's very prone to user error.

New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: Re: Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it   Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 am

@RottenDub wrote:
@gargilius wrote:

Hello! If you have vanilla Skyrim installed just move it to where the install guide say.Then just get a no-cd crack so the game doesn't need steam anymore ( gamecopyworld is a good place )

Pack will work just fine with steam but requires more tinkering and it's very prone to user error.

Aha! I knew it must be something like that. This has bothered me for days, so thank you for the instruction and for the direction. It might be worth mentioning this either in the FAQ or in the installation instructions, because i'm betting i'm not the only one who has fumbled about with the steam install when in fact one need not ever use steam in the first place regardless of where you acquired the game. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nix
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: Re: Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it   Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:47 am

Make a X: partition of 100 GB, download Skyrim to X: (X:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Skyrim) then make another folder in X: called "Skyrim" (X:/Skyrim) move over all the Steam Skyrim files to it but make sure you leave these 5 files inside of it. (You have to have these 5 files in both the Steam directory and the modded directory. That's how I got the Steam version to work. (Overlay and achievements work also)

http://i.imgur.com/sd7YIKg.png
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shihni
New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: Re: Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it   Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Alternative method...

Let steam install the game normally. Install 4.4 into the steam directory. And then we play pretend.

1. Shrink the drive Skyrim installed on by a small amount. I used 10MB as anything smaller doesn't seem to appear in Disk Management.
2. Turn that unallocated space into drive X. Make sure it's formatted, but don't add any folders to it.
3. Open the command prompt as an administrator. Type the following, making sure that the second location (here its c:) actually points to where you installed skyrim.

Code:
mklink /D x:\Skyrim C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

4. And you're done.

This makes a symbolic link between your install directory and x:\Skyrim, sort of like a shortcut. This means that you don't need to update any of the paths in Modorganizer.ini and eliminates almost all of the potential user error.

Open mod organizer from either the steam directory or x: - they're the same thing - and play the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Steam, or more appropriately the lack of it
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Perfectly Modded :: Forum :: SPM 4.4-
Jump to:  

Free counters!