Perfectly Modded

Modding done right!

HomeHome  WebsiteWebsite  PublicationsPublications  YouTubeYouTube  TwitchTwitch  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Installer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
War.Balance
New Face!
New Face!

PostSubject: Installer   Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 am

So i was attempting to install SPM4.4 and I tried to copy paste the files from the packed file to the Skyrim directory, and it gave me some errors. It give me some errors of directories being to long, and some other stuff i forgot, and its hard to copy and paste large files like that the computer kept messing it up and wouldn't move some files or would create multiple for some reason and then i wouldn't be able to get the rest in. I'm not 100% sure it its a problem with my computer (I doubt it) or just a common problem that computers just cant handle copying and pasting that big of a file, and as awesome as it sounds i want it. So i'm going down the folders that aren't to big and copy and pasting them, but bigger files i'm doing section by section. So i ask you, for as big as SPM5 sounds like its going to be, please try and make an installer for it so people don't have problems like me, but i don't know i could be dumb and doing it wrong but I don't know how i could screw up simple install instructions such as, 
"Step 2: Copy/extract the contents of the pack to your Skyrim location (Example: (YOUR INSTALL DRIVE LOCATION)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim)
*use 7zip for error free operation)
*Supported game language and windows local language is English only. Change at your own risks."

Maybe you could also help me with my problem?
But i think i say this on behave of a majority of people who love this mod pack and the concept of SPM5, that a installer would be great.
Thank you for your time,
-Balance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RottenDub
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Installer   Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:43 am

Hello @War.Balance

I could try to make an installer which might simply some of extracting problems but bring in new ones for example it might make the initial download size of 100+GB, some people have limited bandwidth and download speeds. An installer would just make the same operation that 7z archiver would do with a little fancy dialogue.

Some .ini in the pack already contain relatively long paths, things like 

"X:/Skyrim/MO MODS/BodySlide and Outfit Studio - [CBBE Studio]/CalienteTools/BodySlide/BodySlide.exe"

Adding X\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim\MO MODS\BodySlide and Outfit Studio - [CBBE Studio]\CalienteTools\BodySlide\BodySlide.exe might be to much for windows to see properly that's why normal non steam install is recommended :

•Normal non-steam installation is recommended for maximum compatibility, no problems / no user error
•Steam install is untested, install at your own risk

So that's one of the reason i recommend the simple approach.Just move you steam install of the game to the X:\Skyrim folder
Get a no-cd from gamecopyworld for example and paste it to X:\Skyrim
Run 7zip and make sure you have admin rights.(in C:\Program Files\7-Zip right click 7zFM.exe)

Select all the files in the pack (or the folders) and "extract to" X:\Skyrim

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://perfectlymodded.weebly.com/
Tenka
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer

PostSubject: Re: Installer   Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 am

In support of an installer you could give it cool music to play while it's extracting. That process tends to take at least a few minutes even on the fastest computers, plenty of time for a nice song. I wouldn't like not being able to see inside of the pack before extracting, but I've seen some kinds of executables that still allowed that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Walkerz
I'm getting the hang of this
I'm getting the hang of this

PostSubject: Re: Installer   Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Should ask fitgirl to do a repack or make an installer, she transforms 60+gb downloads to 20gb dl's using black magic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RottenDub
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Installer   Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Walkerz wrote:
Should ask fitgirl to do a repack or make an installer, she transforms 60+gb downloads to 20gb dl's using black magic.
Not magic, just LMZA2 on ultra.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://perfectlymodded.weebly.com/
dostunuz
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: Re: Installer   Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:19 am

Use TeraCopy application, problem solved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Installer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Perfectly Modded :: Forum :: SPM 5-
Jump to:  

Free counters!