Perfectly Modded

Modding done right!

HomeHome  WebsiteWebsite  PublicationsPublications  YouTubeYouTube  TwitchTwitch  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hello vet modder here random CTDs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
heathensauce666
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: Hello vet modder here random CTDs   Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 am

I am getting random CTDs and they happen during auto load, sleeping, and just random areas. 

I did everything as I was supposed to, all steps were done perfectly. Only modification I did was recommended ENB settings to improve performance and force windowed because of alt tabbing issues. I disabled ALL 3rd party apps except for Killer Networking, MSI gaming, and Logitech gaming since if I disabled these I'd have OS issues.

I activated my auto save system because I read somewhere that these do not cause CTDs but were disabled due to possible CTDing.

I emulated my X storage to use for steam and I did this correctly as well, I am very used to following steps like this and this guide (In my opinion.) is incredibly easy compared to others I've had to follow. I've been modding games for 4 years now though I have no experience into creating mods, just modding. 

After I installed, I accidently forgot to delete my documents on my Skyrim however, due to the Skryim PM here using documents of its own, I figured this wouldnt be a problem. Also, it didnt mention it in the steps so I figured that should be fine.

I am literally scratching my head here, is it the auto saves I activated? Documents? 3rd Party apps?

My rig is more than capable of running it (mostly) without problems. I have a 960 4gig GTX, I7-4790k, running this on high quality SSD, and 16 gigs of DDR3 1666 ram. I get a good 60 fps mostly and I made necessary modification to my Nvidia settings.

I also get glare of pure white artifacts when running this game randomly as well, it seems to only happen to light shafts like torches.

Any help is appreciated! I might just have to reinstall sadly however I have a strong feeling this would just be a waste of time.

PS: Im running the game on MO from Skyrim Perfectly Modded named SKSE and not the actual SKSE file. Im confused on which to run it from so I figured its the SKSE file named SPM and not the generic SKSE name, I find it odd I have two SKSEs however.

Perhaps the random CTDs are normal? I get them around once between every 10-30 mins though i have a feeling this is a bit much then again this does have a lot of mods....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heathensauce666
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: Re: Hello vet modder here random CTDs   Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:13 am

So I decided to just delete everything, recheck over how to install it once more. Perhaps I did something wrong. This time I will be even extra extra careful. I am going to try running it without doing any modifications at all and see if I still get CTDs sigh. This gonna take a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heathensauce666
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: Still getting random CTDs   Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 pm

I ran Rotten Dubs save with his own configured mods, and I redownloaded absolutely everything. I did everything by the book and only thing different I did was doing the emulated storage here: http://perfectlymodded.forumgratuit.ro/t583-alternative-steam-install-method

I am honestly confused. I dont know what to do, I didn't touch anything apart from Force Windowed on ENB and disabled the recommended settings to improve performance.

The CTD happens around once every 10-30 minutes and completely random it seems, I kept saves off just in case that was the problem and it wasnt. No 3rd party apps going except ones mentioned. I guess I just gotta give up until I get a reply hopefully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RottenDub
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello vet modder here random CTDs   Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Hello! This might be a turn off but i recommend using X:\Skyrim with no emulation and i said i'll give no support for other methods but i'll try to think what gone wrong with anything you did.

-Recommend using one tweak X:\Skyrim\Data\Skse\plugins for borderless window.

-Delete your documents Skyrim folder if you consider you don't need it anymore.

-Don't run task manager if you want to monitor usage/tasks use process lasso

-Disable auto-save

*What settings did you disable to improve performance?
*Msi gaming and it's sister/brother riva tuner statistics are safe to use.
*Logitech gaming i'm assuming mouse/keyboard/joystick? Should be safe.
*Killer Networking if it's using any kind of .dll hooks or overlays might conflict with the pack.

heathensauce666
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: Oh wow thanks!   Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:29 am

I will do the emulation to the book as you recommend and Im extremely sorry, I spent a good 2 hours reading over your instructions and didn't know you didn't support that, I must have missed it so my bad! 

I was also thinking the killer network could cause the problems, Ill try and disable it and see, if it is Ill let you know! I also use avast but I disable it when I play the game. Only downside is no internet while playing Skyrim and I often watch twitch on my other monitor while playing it (I figured chrome is fine since it doesn't connect with skyrim in any way.)

I already deleted documents when I retried! :( I had no saves I really wanted since my old 1.2k hour save was lost long ago.

Auto save was disabled on second try.

I already knew about task manager so way ahead of ya! <3 I dont need to monitor since MSI does it and it's already supported.

As for modification of the ENB settings, I did useddifferedrendering=false recommended by you, forcewindowedfullscreen=true and forcewindowed=true since I figured I had to activate both (Perhaps I was wrong?) I will go with onetweak and put it to the last of my load order unless you suggest differently.

Could avast, even though disabled, still effect the game? I do know it uses an overlay system and certainly could.... Ill do another run and do this even more to the book. Im going to uninstall game mode in avast since I know this connects itself with skyrim and could potentially cause problems.

I hate to ask this but could a cracked (But I did legally obtain it and can show proof if requested.) work with this mod? Its the only way I can get the emulation system to work without paying and I'd rather not buy Skyrim a 4th time tbh. (Xbox 360, PC twice once for family.)

Logitech gaming yes and its for my mouse, without it, it will cause A LOT of problems with my mouse sadly. So I cant play the game without it.

Ill try again and do an even more clean, by the book, setup. If it works ill let you know what I disabled and if I can I'll see if I can figure out what caused it for ya.

Thanks by the way for this absolutely amazing mod <3 I'll get this damned thing to work sooner or later as long as its stable.

Oh shit almost forgot, one MAJOR thing! For tundradefence mod there was a singular file that said "Name too long, cannot copy to system." At first I didnt think much of it but once I reset this up I strongly believe that could also cause the CTDs. I didnt think much of it at first sadly, but if said mods file name is too long you may want to modify it to be better integrated into a steam install. I'll give you more info once I do testing of my own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heathensauce666
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: One last quick question!   Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:13 am

Should I expect rare CTDs? Or should they be practically non-existent? I understand this is supposed to be stable as for the 4.4 version though I am not sure what to expect when it comes to CTD's, are these supposed to never happen or should they be expected perhaps once every hour?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heathensauce666
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: Ok! I found a bug you will want to know! Pretty big bug too I think!   Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:12 am

TLDR on bottom!

I found the file that has too long of a name to my C drive and makes it impossible to copy - paste the folder instead of extracting it.

Skyrim Perfectly Modded 4.4\Skyrim\MO MODS\[Settlement Construction]TundraDefense PocketEmpire GuildStarter •RM•\textures\actors\character\facegendata\facetint\TundraDefense PocketEmpire GuildStarter RM.esp

Here is the file that has too long of a name (I removed [Settlement Construction] from the ESP to allow me to copy without any errors.) If you were to change the name on this to a shorter version, the copy paste should allow it to be added without forcing you to not add this along with it. (Keep in mind this all depends on how long the said persons drive name is.)

My drive that used this was called "Power Overwhelming" and due to the long name of my drive, it was just enough to where my Windows 10 could not handle the length of the file path. So people with long drive names will encounter problems copy and pasting this pack to different drives, like copying it from D drive to the C drive. 

I emphasizing strongly on extracting the 7Zip directly to the skyrim or it would not work should allow for less misunderstanding. I recommend the latter since I've not really tested the former and I can imagine it could pose multiple MO problems when modifying a file name. When reading your guide, it says "Copy/extract to skyrim." I strongly recommend you say in your guide here: 

http://perfectlymodded.forumgratuit.ro/t125-installation-guide-tutorials 

to extract it with 7zip directly to your skyrim folder in your same drive instead of copy - paste because windows has trouble copy - pasting a multitude of files with long names. Not to mention the potential error process of extracting such a large file and copy - pasting it as well. Along with doing it in different drives.

Another fix could have people limit their drive name longer than said characters, but this could still cause potential problems and misunderstandings. IE if someone's drive is named Power Overwhelming (18 characters) tell them it has to be no more than 6 characters (Your drive you used is named Jocuri, thus no name should be longer than this for optimal bug free problems.) People will often not like this and think, "Well my drive should be fine Im not going to bother with this." and fu*k up their installation process and then complain to you.

You can find more information about what I am referring to here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2891362/a-file-copy-operation-fails-when-files-or-folders-have-long-paths-in-w

By extracting said files directly in my C drive to my skyrim folder instead of copy pasting extracted files in my D drive directly to my C drives skyrim folder (I know I need it to be X but i'm still testing things.) I was able to avoid the error.

I am still in testing on my trouble shooting however, I strongly believe it will work now since I derped and didn't install the tundradefence due to the error I originally got. 

Any questions let me know!

Just so you know, I got this error when doing your instructions to the letter, so that's why I am bringing this up. If someone has too long of a drive name and even if they follow your instructions to the book, they will encounter this problem and potentially even have more filepath problems depending on their OS or drive names length. For instance multiple files wont be copied over instead of just one for me. Even if this doesn't fix my problem, I am absolutely certain that if this isn't addressed then people with a long drive name (18 characters or longer at least.) will have problems later on down the road, when at the very least trying to access the mod within game. 

I am glad to have found this and potentially help ya with your amazing mod!

PS: I am going to test the steam version of the emulated storage because I strongly believe the emulated storage could perhaps be more stable than using a cracked version of skyrim with this mod pack. Since cracked versions often have compressed, changed, or removed files and at first might be stable, over time when said files is used, can cause problems. (FPS drops, glitches, bugs, CTDs, graphical problems, etc.) I know you dont support this so that's why I will gladly test this method for you and let you know if I encounter problems!

TLDR: There is a filepath error caused by OS's I found that is probably causing my CTD's and even if it isnt, its a huge bug that needs to be addressed! If someone has a drive longer than 17 characters then they are definitely going to have issues with this mod if they copy and paste it from said drive! (It can potentially be shorter.)  Even if they follow your instructions to the letter! I recommend you have them instead simply extract the files from 7zip directly from their drive into their same drives skyrim folder IE if skyrim is in X drive then have them put the 7zip file into X drive then extract it directly to their folder. Sadly this means they need 30 more gigs inside the drive. Keep in mind the drive name isn't the only potential cause for this error, it all depends on the length of the file path itself! My recommendation completely removes this from being a potential problem since extracting can't use a long filepath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heathensauce666
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: ITS WORKING, MY GOD ITS WORKING!   Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:56 am

Okay! I WAS RIGHT! Its the OS error I had that caused it to stop working! To be absolutely sure I am running avast, chrome, Msi gaming, Killer network manager, and none of them are causing the CTDs!!!

Also! My FPS literally DOUBLED it turns out that I was completely right about the file path error and I strongly recommend you read my post above. At least the TLDR and check out my link.

I can even run differed rendering without too bad FPS drops! But I prefer a stable game so I disabled it anyway. It was originally 20 FPS average and now it hasn't dropped below 35! Without it I get a stable 60.

So far no CTDs (With exceptions) and Im a couple of hours in, originally I got constant ctds, especially when making a new character (Because the mod missing was trying to boot up.) and I constantly had FPS drops, low FPS, etc. It's all gone now! I do get random CTDs when I alt tab while paused, alt tab during loading screen, or during death autoload. However, I cannot replicate this CTD while ingame and due to me running windowed, this is a common problem and I dont mind it one bit!

I downloaded onetweak and disabled deferred rendering and still no CTDs!! I even tested this with Force windowed and that wasn't the cause for CTDs either!

I am absolutely sure after testing that the CTDs were caused due to my long D drive name and some files not being downloaded due to this: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2891362/a-file-copy-operation-fails-when-files-or-folders-have-long-paths-in-w

I even activated god mode and increased my speed by 10 times with the cheats and still no CTDs! I wanted to stress test this engine... Not bad.  

I will continue testing but after stress testing, using your profile, running around, and making a new character trying everything I can to push it to CTD with normal use, I can fairly say all is well! Even if it does CTD by now if I get 1 every 3 hours I dont mind that one bit.

Well done man, just... well done... you dont know how much this mod pack means to me, I lost 1.2k HOURS of game time playing a modded game and I had missed it so much, i practically gave up on modding due to the constant problems I had. 

You are my new god, all praise Rotten Dub! <3 May Talos take you under his wing.

PS: I am shortening my drive name after this just in case this happens again. Also, I am using the x drive emulator and its also not the cause for my CTDs! I had figured it wasn't due to the potential stability of it. Oh yea and I still disabled all my 3rd party stuff that could conflict with Skyrim to ensure maximum stability, I only kept them on to test if the problems were from them for a few hours. 

I am now just going to play normally and see if I get a CTD. I did get a few when alt tabbing during loading screens and when I was dead, but apart from that no CTD. And I know its common to get CTDs alt tabbing during those times even when going windowed. Thanks again bro! <3 Ill update this if I start having problems once more!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I believe avast may be contributing to my alt tabbing CTD so after disabling it I found that I haven't CTDed from it (yet). I made this post over the 3 hours of testing so I accidently forgot to mention this. I recommend people disable avast simply because it's a wonky piece of software when playing sensative games like this anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RbN420
Rookie poster
Rookie poster

PostSubject: Re: Hello vet modder here random CTDs   Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm

"i experienced a few CTD on save, i resolved them by pressing console -> prid 14 -> kill
and the random CTD are more likely to happen with autosave enabled
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello vet modder here random CTDs   

Back to top Go down

Hello vet modder here random CTDs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Perfectly Modded :: Forum :: SPM 4.4-
Jump to: